Lee and Bobby Byrd, Lee's 32nd Birthday.
Martino's Restaurant, Juárez, Mexico.
(photo by Pedro Ruelas Alvarez, 1977)
Lee and Bobby at
Bobby's 60th Birthday Party.
(photo by Bruce Berman.)
- Bobby Byrd
- Bobby Byrd, author of nine books of poetry, founded Cinco Puntos Press in 1985
with his wife, Lee Merrill Byrd. Cinco Puntos, named for Lee and Bobby's neighborhood
in El Paso, is known internationally for its literature of the Southwest and the U.S.-
Mexico Border and for its bilingual children's books. Bobby recently co-edited the
upcoming book, Puro Border: Dispatches, Snapshots and Graffiti from the U.S./Mexico
Border, with his son John William Byrd and Mexican writer Luis Humberto Crosthwaite.
- poems in the Broadside, this issue:
Like a Regular Storybook:
-- In the Sweet Bye and Bye
-- The Airplane on the Front Porch
-- This Morning in Our Bed
-- Ode for 60 Years on the Planet
-- Motel Room
-- The Winter When My Grandson John Was Two
- poems in the Broadside, Issue #31:
-- Black Cop and White Russian
-- Letter to Ann Enriquez who Died 12 December 2002
- Lee Merrill Byrd
- Lee Merrill Byrd is the author of the award-winning collection of short stories, My Sister Disappears (SMU Press, 1993), and co-publisher of Cinco Puntos Press.
She possesses a secret talent in the visual arts, which she vents through photography and collages. She spends her spare time with the children of the El Paso neighborhood where she
has made her home for the last twenty-five years.
- story in the Broadside... Why I Want to Learn Spanish
- Jessica Powers
- Guest Editor Jessica Powers works full time at Cinco Puntos Press as Senior Editor and Publicist. She moonlights as a freelance writer, lover of dogs and scholar of African History. Her first book, a guide to hiking with dogs in the El Paso/Las Cruces region, will be published in 2003 by Cruden Bay Books.